Our fathers play a significant role in our lives as caregivers, protectors, financial supporters, and the most important pillars of our emotional support.
“When my father didn’t have my hand, he had my back” Linda Poindexter
As time flies we become older and surely our fathers do. We become more capable of handling our lives, and they become less capable of handling theirs. As they get older, they become more sensitive. Our role is to help them, care for them, and hold them in a special place in our lives.
This Friday, 21st June the world honors fathers and celebrates fatherhood, paternal bonds, and their influence in our society. The best way to show them our gratitude is to provide them with all means of care, support, and protection they gave us when we were in a need for it.
“When my daughter says ‘Daddy I need you!’ I wonder if she has any idea that I need her billion times more.” – Stanley Behrman
Here are 12 ways to make this Father’s Day count and celebrate their huge footprint in our lives:
Some retired fathers spend a long time at home with minimal activity. This routine can make them slothful, bored, irritable, and increase their personal and family stress levels. Experts on stress management suggest exercising especially for the elderly. A regular daily exercise has countless benefits including strengthening the heart, weight loss, and decreasing insulin resistance. Walking or running on a treadmill or an orbitrek is an excellent source of exercise that puts less stress on the body.
2. Healthy food
A healthy lifestyle involves pairing physical activity with balanced nutrition. Make sure your father gets the right balance of protein, vegetables, and healthy carbohydrates. He can easily do so with a grill, food steamer, and rice cooker.
Help Him Look Younger
3. Although our fathers are always keen to look young and handsome, they often find it difficult to do so. It’s frustrating to wait at the hairdresser for hours to look good. But with an electric shaver or a beard trimmer, he has the freedom to groom and enjoy different looks with minimal effort.
4. Take him for sauna or jacuzzi and spend time together. Help him buy his clothes and give him your advice.
A Well-bonded Family
5. Put aside electronics at the dinner table to show respect and care for your dad and the rest of your family. Instead, strike a conversation with your dad about his youth, dreams, career and favorite memories. Listen and perhaps enjoy a couple of laughs, you may be surprised to see a different side and bond even closer.
6. A simple and kind loving gesture is often underrated. Show your dad that you love him. Remind him not just with your actions but also with your words how much you value him and his unconditional support. If you see him working hard, make him a cup of tea and maybe give him a sweet hug. It makes all the difference!
“When I come home, my daughter will run to the door and give me a big hug, and everything that’s happened that day just melts away.” – Hugh Jackman
7. Always take the initiative and surprise your dad by organizing his office or space and decluttering items that have piled up for months.
Know and meet Your Dad’s needs
8. Always focus on your dad’s safety especially if he spends a long time alone. Make sure that his medical, financial, and personal needs are all met.
Always stay connected
9. There is nothing holding you back from reaching out to your parents on a regular basis. Technology has even made it possible for you to see them even remotely. Don’t worry about your dad when he is going out with his friends or traveling anywhere. Connect through a phone or a video call via smartphone or tablet at any time and keep a power bank in his pocket to reach him without being disconnected.
10. Some fathers find going out a little bit exhaustive. They like staying at home watching TV, browsing the internet, carrying a conversation by the balcony. Help your dad enjoy staying at home with a larger TV screen that gives him cinematic experience. Let him comfortably enjoy the latest matches, news, and trends.
11. In addition to giving time to your partner and family, make sure that you spend quality time with your dad. And if you can involve the kids or your partner in his favorite downtime activities, all the better.
12. If he made the living room a cozy space to meet his friends and neighbors, welcome them and help them enjoy their time. Let him and his company relax in a comfortable cooled room with an AC enjoying a PlayStation marathon and drinking coffee using modern Coffee maker.
It is impossible to underestimate the importance of dads in our lives. The primary family provider who is highly responsible for who we are, who we are to be, and what we have become. Every day, for twenty years or more, engaged fathers helped make a family for precious children. Their giving gives them moral standing, and a valid claim on the respect, support, and replenishment of their sons and society as a whole. Let’s all strive to make life at home more pleasant, and build important family relationships that last a lifetime.